- Taxpayers could fork out hundreds of millions each year for proper surveillance for Australian jihadists
- There are an estimated 150 Australians suspected of fighting in Middle East conflicts in Syria and Iraq
- Federal government announced $600 million in extra funding for surveillance agencies this week
- It comes as a jihadist posed for a Twitter photo with two decapitated heads and gave advice on how to get explosives in Sydney
Taxpayers could be forking out hundreds of millions of dollars a year so security agencies can properly monitor Australian jihadists returning from conflicts in the Middle East.
Surveillance costs are expected to tip $8 million for just one jihadist as intelligence teams monitor the 150 or so Australians who may return home having been suspected of fighting in countries like Syria and Iraq, the Australian reports.
The high spending comes as police and surveillance agencies prepare for potentially the largest monitoring operation in Australia to stop suspected fighters becoming home-grown terrorists.
The $8 million sum would reportedly cover eight-person surveillance teams working on five different rolling shifts for the entire year. It also includes transport and high-tech surveillance equipment.
It comes as the federal government announced an additional $600 million in counter-terror funding this week for five different agencies, including the domestic spy agency ASIO and the Australian Federal Police.
While security agencies will not reveal specific target numbers or spending figures, it is expected that some of the extra funding will be spent on this extra and expensive surveillance.
‘The important thing here is to give us the tools that we need to ensure that people who are a serious threat to our country are appropriately dealt with,’ Prime Minister Tony Abbott said this week.
The funding came as an Australian jihadist posed with decapitated heads and supposedly gave advice on how people could access deadly explosives in Sydney on Twitter.
Mohamed Elomar, who is wanted by the Australian Federal Police for his activities in the Middle East, renewed his social media attack on his former home country on a new Twitter account after his previous one was shut down last week.
The 30-year-old invited wannabe jihadists in Sydney – the city where he was born – to contact him if they want to get their hands on dynamite and grenades.
‘Anyone in Sydney who is after explosives (dynamite sticks, C4 sticks, orica mine sticks, grenades ) lots more. If interested DM me,’ he wrote.
He also gave tips on the best way to avoid the security services.
‘Buy a phone cover ur idenity if you have to wear a Niqab, activate simcard with false details, when u use phone make sure in different area,’ he wrote.
‘That way it’s hard for ASIO to track u down, remember “The hearts of freemen are tombs of secrets” and moslem secreacy is faithfulness.’
Elomar and his friend Khaled Sharrouf, also from Sydney, are thought to be fighting with al-Qaeda off-shoot Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and will be arrested on terrorism-related charges if they ever return to Australia.
Before Elomar’s previous Twitter account was shut down last week, he wrote that Australia should be worried about what is coming to it. He also sent tweets aimed directly at ASIO earlier this month, claiming he had been injured but would soon be fighting again.
Offering up his advice to ‘brothers who are confused about Jihad in the West’ he said ‘please DM I would love to have a chat’.
The account that is purporting to belong to Elomar also claimed he had ‘just divorced his wife’.
Elomar’s wife Fatima, 29, appeared in court in Sydney on July 8 after she was arrested by joint counter-terrorism detectives at Sydney Airport on May 3 while trying to board a flight to Malaysia.
She was alleged to be carrying cash and camouflage gear on behalf of Elomar.
She was later charged with supporting terrorism, specifically ‘preparing for incursions into a foreign state with the intention of engaging in hostile activities’.
The pair have four children together.
‘To my 4 beautiful kids inshallah I will see them on day of judgment, this is islam allah swt will test us and test us,’ Elomar wrote on Sunday.
Elomar’s jihadist friend Sharrouf previously spent time in jail for his part in a foiled plot to blow up targets in Sydney and Melbourne.
He is thought to have flown to Syria with Elomar late last year on his brother Mustafa’s passport.
Sharrouf has also taunted Australian police via his social media account recently, boasting that he would ‘slaughter’ Australians.
Elomar is also the brother of Ahmed Elomar, who was arrested in Lebanon for alleged terrorist links in 2007 and then sentenced to jail in Sydney in June for brutally bashing a police officer in the Hyde Park riots.
The two brothers, Ahmed and Mohamed, used to be champion boxers – Ahmed has competed in more than 20 professional bouts.
In 2007, their father Mamdouh Elomar slammed the clerics who he believes radicalised his sons in Sydney.
Credit: Mail Online